Hybrid Sessions Vol IV
Ayako Kanda- voice
Barbora Čopáková- piano
Hybrid Sessions is a new monthly series at Kampus Hybernská, the next step after last year’s Sólové series in Skautský Institut. On the last Wednesday of each month we will feature an improvised duo set with two musicians coming from different backgrounds to form a new constellation. Afterwards, we will host a jam session open to all musicians, regardless of background. We want to create an open environment where musicians feel free to be creative in the moment, nothing is predetermined and the only expectation is a high level of presence. A basic back line will be provided.
Ayako is an improvising performer whose medium is her voice. Low as an echo in a tunnel, then light as a child’s conversation; chasing the band one moment, and ringing out wild and alone the next: Ayako’s vocal performances encompass a kaleidoscopic range of expression.
She made her debut as a performer during her time at art school, where she also began painting. Today she performs improvised live sets around Tokyo and worldwide. In 2016, she formed a band of local musicians in New York City to record her first album, “Antigravity Vacation.”
* 2011-2017: Studied classical piano at the Conservatory of Pardubice.
* Undertook composing courses in Kroměříž, led by Pavel Zemek, Petr Graham, Ondřej Štochl And Albert Breier, twice.
* 2012: Accepted a theatrical engagement with the Východočeské divadlo.
* 2017: Recorded Collectiv composition no. 1 with Zdeněk Závodný, Petr Vrba, Alla Kreidman, Eva Geislová, Aneta Bendová, Marek Kundlák and Miro Tóth for Český rozhlas.
* 2018: Performed with the PIO on their debut album.
* 2018: Played the compositions of Ondřej Adámek with Prague Modern on Music Olomouc.
photo by Anna Baštýřová